Individuals, as social beings, need to socialize to maintain a good state of well-being. Research findings reveal that social support is an important predictor of quality of life an individual leads. The famous ‘buffering hypothesis’ also presents the importance of social support during stressful episodes. However, considering the current scenario, when the entire nation is going through a complete lock down, all of us are bound be experiencing boredom, anxiety, stress and seclusion. Self-quarantine may also have an influence on our daily functioning in areas like physical activity, socializing, activities of daily living, occupation etc. During these tough times of self-quarantine it is of utmost significance to keep ourselves cognitively stimulated and be engaged constructively& meaningfully.
During this time of adversity we need to stand strong and look for positivity amidst challenges. Following are few tips that one can follow for keeping ourselves engaged more optimistically and spending quality time during self-quarantine thus maintaining our overall health and well-being:
- Following a daily schedule: This is the most important aspect of all. Following a schedule doesn’t only include completing a task in the specified time limit but it also means maintaining a daily routine for activities like waking up and going to bed on time, exercising, dressing up properly, etc.
- Socializing: Putting a check on our social life or social distancing during the current self quarantine does not mean that we lose connect with our near and dear ones and the society as a whole. This should be taken as an opportunity rather than a challenge for the health and well being of each one of us. Thus, in the present era, with the availability of ICT technologies, we should acquaint our selves towards a technology driven social connect instead of traditional way of socialization. Accordingly, we should stay in touch through video chats, social media networks or any other digital platforms.
- Hobbies: Self-quarantine give us a lot of “me time” so this is rather the best time to engage in our hobbies like cooking, playing instruments, listening to music, painting, reading or writing which might have taken a back seat due to time crunch. Those fond of writing can also maintain diaries to express their day to day experiences and feelings.
- Wellbeing apps: This is the best time to download wellbeing apps that help us develop a positive mindset and thought process through quotations, videos and audios on positive thinking and mindfulness.
- Yoga and meditation: To keep a sound mental and physical health one can also indulge into practices like yoga and meditation. Spiritual practices also help to achieve a calm and positive mindset.
This is the time when we all need to be strong and support each other. Creating a well being chart will help us go through this phase somewhat smoothly. Engaging constructively and eloquently during this self quarantine phase can become easier with the help of such self engagement activities and will help us in becoming and coming out as a better individuals.