For many IILM students, the internship and job search extends far beyond the Delhi-NCR campus. As a part of campus placements drive, students of batch 2016-18 made use of the opportunity to visit companies, covering across 23 sectors to understand the sector specific requirements.
In particular, for The IILM Career Development Centre, the Career Trek is one of their hallmark events. So, what exactly happens during this Career Trek?
For the organizer, the trek is the result of months of planning and coordination with many companies. All students are taken for a limited spot on this trek regardless of their experience in this field, as the goal is for them to broaden their exposure and to network for potential job opportunities.
Fabio Rodriguez Santiago, President of the IESE Marketing Club stated, “We need the trek to cater to our entire student base. We have some participants with very strong marketing experience in big firms like Coca-Cola whilst others are career changers with little previous exposure to the industry. We plan the mix of companies and content of visits in such a way so that it is enriching regardless of your marketing knowledge.”
The Career Trek is primarily student driven. This means that every year, the companies that are included could change depending on students’ interest. In the month of March students & the placements team optimised the activity of Career Visit to large corporations like – Audi , Whirlpool, Bisleri, and Mercedes-Benz, leading banks like ICICI & YES BANK as well as fast-growing start-ups such as Make My Trip and Cash Karo. Not only did the students learn trends from industry leaders, they were able to participate in discussions on current projects involving gender equality and sustainability.
Acquainting with industries like – Automobile, Banking, Consumer Durable, E-commerce and many more are ultimately giving a lot of exposure and career boost to young professionals on campus. These industries have the all round reputation for the overall personality development and grooming for its employees.
The Career Development Centre also organized a panel with young entrepreneurs at the Lodhi Road campus, who shared their experiences about the marketing challenges faced by starts-ups. Of course, no trek would be complete without Happy Hour to wrap up the busy day.
Let’s see what students have experienced :-
- “Overall the trek proved useful to me. Coming from a non-marketing background and looking into potentially moving to a marketing role, it helped me gain a 360 view of the business”
- “It was a unique experience to learn about a company, not from papers or pictures, but from the recruiters and employees. It was amazing to be in their work environment and to see the passion they have for their work.”
- “Inspiring, informative and fun for everyone.”
From the companies’ perspective, the trek gives them a chance to interact with IILM students in a more intimate setting and to hear their ideas. According to company professionals,
- “The companies shared were that they were very impressed by the energy and inputs given by IILM students”.
- “Presenting to the IIILM PGDM students was really exciting. For me, it wasn’t a class of MBA students, it was a community of really cool, curious and eager individuals. I am very thankful for the insights gained from such an international audience.”
Ultimately, every trek is only as successful as the efforts put in by the students.
For those first year students who missed out on this year, there is always next year. Get an insight on IILM PGDM Campus Placements & Summer Internships at www.iilm.edu/placements.